Tuesday, February 21, 2012

BWJ - Chocolate Truffle Tartlets


For chocolate decadence, you can't go past this week's Baking with Julia recipe - Chocolate Truffle Tartlets, hosted by Steph, Spike, Jaime and Jessica.  These tarts contain not one but three types of chocolate, and are studded with biscuit pieces.  Even the tart shells are chocolate.

Step one - make and bake your chocolate tart shells:




The dough is very soft, so it wasn't easy to work with in a hot kitchen, but luckily it responded well to the patch technique.

Next, fill your tartshells with a mixture of dark chocolate and butter, studded with white and milk chocolate cubes and biscuit pieces:


I wasn't buying amaretti or biscotti just for this, so I used shortbread.

Allow to cool for 20 minutes, then eat:


Go on, I know you want some ;)  But beware - they pack a chocolate punch - I could only cope with a quarter of one of these tarts at a sitting, and gave most of them away.

You can drool over some more chocolate tarts at the LYL section of the Baking with Julia website.

25 comments:

Jill said...

They look delicious! I agree that they are chocolate overload; just a little bit was enough.

Amanda said...

Oh! How very, er, chocolatey. You must have great self-control to stop at only a quarter. I doubt I could stop soon enough to avoid slight nausea.

Flourchild said...

I agree about the chocolate punch! I enjoyed this recipe!

Cher Rockwell said...

Agreed - these were insanely rich. I couldn't finish a whole one (despite a generous helping of vanilla ice cream)

Kayte said...

That's a lot of chocolate alright already. Your photos are good on this...I think your class taught you some secrets!

Jennifer said...

Yum! I bet shortbread in these were delicious!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I like the little chocolate biscuit bits in these! :D

Johanna GGG said...

you make it sound so easy and they look delicious

Pamela said...

So nice of you to share. ;) I bet those were some happy people! Looks great.

yummychunklet said...

Yours turned out perfect. Great post!

Lauren Hairston said...

Oh goodness gracious! No wonder you could only finish 1/4 of a tart. I'm getting a toothache just looking at them. :-) They do look yummy...

Elaine said...

These are definitely drool-worthy tartlets! I bet they would delicious with shortbread.

Heather said...

They look great! They're definitely made for sharing, though!

Kris' Kitchen said...

Well, maybe I should not admit it but I ate one as a dinner appetizer and one more during dinner cleanup. This is my kind of food and yours look terrific.

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Your tarts look perfect! :) Glad they turned out so well. I was glad the patch technique worked as well!

Kathy said...

Gorgeous tarts! They look so rich and creamy! We really love this one!

Peggy said...

Beautiful tarts. . So rich looking. And I love your pretty plate!

Frolicking Night Owl said...

yummy looking tarts!

Wendy (pinkstripes) said...

Your tarts look lovely. :)

Daisy@Nevertoosweet said...

Since you're sharing :P can you share some with me! I'm in the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne hehe

These looks great!

Baking is my Zen...sweet nibbles for the soul said...

You're right, just a quarter piece is manageable to consume at one sitting...it's good though.

~ Carmen
http://bakingismyzen.wordpress.com

Sara said...

Smart idea using shortbread!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

nice and gooey looking--i'm sure the recipients were pleased with these!

Julia said...

Your tarts look perfect. I definitely agree that these would have been too large for one person. It only took a sliver of my large tart to satisfy my dessert needs.

Lucas @ coverversions.tv said...

Holy crapsticks, those are something. (see? Adjectives fail me).