Wednesday, August 19, 2015

WWDH - Summer Fruit and Couscous Crumble



For Wednesday with Donna Hay this week, Glennis has selected Summer Fruit and Quinoa Crumble from p87 of Fresh and Light.  This crumble contains a raspberry, nectarine and peach filling (I left out the nectarines) and is topped by a gluten free crumble made from quinoa and rice flour.

I cannot eat quinoa, so I once again used couscous as a substitute. I used white rice flour instead of brown rice flour, and I used ordinary white sugar instead of coconut sugar.


 

The crumble was quite tasty - it is not as crispy on top as crumbles I am used to, and of course, as it contains no butter, it is not buttery at all.  I also found that the fruit was rather juicy, as no thickening agent was used to thicken the natural fruit juices.



That said, if you are looking for a healthier way to eat fruit crumble, this would be the ideal recipe.

To see what everyone else thought of this dish, visit the LYL section of the Wednesday with Donna Hay website.

6 comments:

Johanna GGG said...

It must seen topsy turvy to be able to eat cous cous but not quinoa as so often quinoa is used rather than couscouse because of all the GF diets. Sounds like an interesting idea for a crumble

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Interesting using couscous for a crumble! I like the sound of the fruit that thickens up nicely underneath it all :D

Kari said...

What a creative use of couscous! I love the sound of this.

Chaya said...

You did a great job subbing. I was missing many ingredients and should have subbed as you did. I still have to make it.

TeaLady said...

I don't know why I didn't make this one! Just forgot? Raspberries? But I will. I love a good crumble! And yours looks just fine!

Kayte said...

Oh this quinoa fruit crumble was so good...we really loved it, all that fruit and coconut, yum! I bet it was good with couscous as well. Definitely making this one again, very soon. Strange how an ingredient like couscous or quinoa can be used in a dessert setting and make us so happy! :-) Yours looks wonderful. I should have tried it with the yogurt as well...oh, I know, that's a great reason to make it again this weekend!